Little Book Reviews by Little People

Monday 20 May 2013

Possum Magic - reviewed by Ben



Possum Magic
Written by Mem Fox
Illustrated by Julie Vivas
Reviewed by Ben (aged 7)
 
This book is about two possums, Grandma Poss and Hush. Grandma Poss does magic. She made Hush invisible so that she was safe from Snakes. Then one day Hush wanted to know what she looked like and asked to be not invisible any more. Grandma Poss looked in her magic books but couldn't find the magic spell she needed. She then remembered that the magic had to do with people food not possum food. Grandma Poss couldn't remember which people food it was. Grandma Poss and Hush then traveled around Australia trying People food. They ate such things as ANZAC biscuits, vegemite sandwiches, pavlovas and lamingtons. Slowly bits of Hush started to appear. Then Hush becomes fully visible. On her birthday each year she eats the People food again to stay visible.

I like this book and I like the pictures.
I will rate this book 7.5/10

Mum's comments
We have read and enjoyed this book before but I couldn't resist buying the new 30th Anniversary Edition. The cloth bound hardcover book also comes with a lovely slipcover. I was 10 when the book was first released and very much into adult novels by then. I didn't become aware of the book until several years ago, when one of my children brought home a copy in his school library bag.
I can certainly see why this story has been popular for 30 years. It is a lovely Australian story that embraces our unique animals, food and country-side. The story and illustrations are timeless, I can see myself in a couple of decades reading this book to Grandchildren and still enjoying the tale.


The story also holds a special place in my heart because it helped encourage my boys to try different foods. Children with autism often have food sensory issues and struggle with tastes and textures of foods. My boys tended to eat a very limited selection of foods. After reading the book, they were willing to try some of the People Food that Hush ate. Now some of those foods are regular additions to their diet. Woohoo for Hush and Grandma Poss.

I bought a copy of this special edition at Big W for $22, which is great value for a classic. The special 30th Anniversary Edition is only available during 2013, so hunt down this beautiful keepsake.

No comments:

Post a Comment